Tom_Brady_vs__Vikings_2014

The Tom Brady Diet

You didn’t think that this modern day action hero could eat whatever he wanted, did you?

You know that Gisele wouldn’t put up with that.

Gisele

As it turns out, Mr. Brady puts himself through some of the most disciplined eating habits that we’ve ever encountered. Then again, if he wants to play into his 40s as he’s stated, he’s going to need his health to last.

Here’s how it lays out according to Tom and Gisele’s personal chef, Allen Campbell, in a feature from The Boston Globe’s Hilary Sargent, “80 percent of what they eat is vegetables. I buy the freshest vegetables. If it’s not organic, I don’t use it. And whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, millet, beans. The other 20 percent is lean meats: grass-fed organic steak, duck every now and then, and chicken. As for fish, I mostly cook wild salmon.”

New England Patriots at Washington Redskins 08/28/09

That’s what the future Hall-of-Fame quarterback DOES eat. So what doesn’t see the light of day on Brady’s plate?

Campbell explains, “No white sugar. No white flour. No MSG. I’ll use raw olive oil, but I never cook with olive oil. I only cook with coconut oil. Fats like canola oil turn into trans fats. I use Himalayan pink salt as the sodium. I never use iodized salt. Tom doesn’t eat nightshades, because they’re not anti-inflammatory. So no tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, or eggplants. Tomatoes trickle in every now and then, but just maybe once a month. I’m very cautious about tomatoes. They cause inflammation.”

On top of that, no coffee, caffeine, fungus or dairy. He also prefers to not eat fruit.

So what about “Game Day?” What does that menu look like? “I always have it in mind, if Tom has a game—but it’s never dictating what I would cook. It’s really not different. The only real difference [in terms of the kinds of things I cook] is seasonal. In the wintertime, it’s going to be more red meat and more soups and root vegetables. And in the summer, they eat lighter, so I’ll make raw lasagna and more salads.”

Save for the occasional “indulgence” of avocado ice cream, Brady sticks to this strict regimen even when he and Gisele are traveling. Campbell contacts chefs at the hotels and the like to give them a “heads up” on what to prepare for the power couple.

Photo Coutesy: Allen Campbell

Photo Courtesy: Allen Campbell